With the release of GoldMine 2018.2, the Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 have been removed from the GoldMine Compatibility Matrix
The reasons are primarily that there may be complications with the new feature that GoldMine Connect uses HTTPS by default which means the IIS requires a certificate for the installation. It might be necessary that additional changes are necessary to the system and Service Packs may need to be installed. Both are not within the scope of GoldMine Support and at this late stage of the lifecycle of the Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2, the decision has been made to drop the support of both operating systems in GoldMine 2018.2.
Especially when GoldMine is used and GoldMine Connect will be not installed or installed on another server with a supported operating system, Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 may still be used, but are officially not supported anymore. If a certain behavior is identified to appear only on these operating systems, GoldMine Technical Support will advise moving GoldMine 2018.2 to an officially supported operating system.
Excerpt of the GoldMine 2018.2 release notes - GoldMine Release Notes 2018.2
Use of https by default
• For new installations GoldMine Connect will be installed to use port 443 by default
• The https implementation requires a certificate installed on the web server
• If you don’t have a certificate from an external trusted authority, then you must create a self-signed certificate. Please see https://community.ivanti.com/docs/DOC-55023 for more information.
• For existing installations there will be a redirect from http to https
• Please note that in the case of existing installations, we use URL Rewriter to perform the redirect. If URL Rewriter is not installed previously, then the GoldMine Connect installer will download it from the internet, which will require an internet connection, and do the installation.
• In the case of an upgrade if there is no certificate installed on the web server, the admin must configure a certificate prior to the upgrade. If you don’t have a certificate from an external trusted authority, then you must create a self-signed certificate. Please see https://community.ivanti.com/docs/DOC-55023 for more information.
(Article written by Michaela Witters of GoldMine)